Published on February 5th, 2014 | by Spencer
Where To Play Bocce
Congratulations on discovering the exciting game of bocce. By now you may already be familiar with the bocce rules and what to look for in a bocce ball set. But there is still something missing – where is the best place to play bocce? The answer to this question is different to everybody. Some will tell you that great bocce courts are all around us already and exist within mother nature. Others will argue that the ideal bocce court is one that is built from scratch. If you are a serious player that wants to play bocce according to regulation, making a bocce ball court may be the right option for you. Whatever the case may be, keep on reading to find out all you need to know about bocce courts.
Find bocce courts in mother nature
Some of the best bocce courts in the world don’t require any construction at all. In fact, I can almost guarantee that there are fantastic bocce courts within walking location of your home right now. Just go outside and start walking in any direction, you will probably stumble into a great court made by nature within minutes. Using the earth’s natural landscape can provide great a great area for bocce. Different types of terrain can give provide you with a different style of game. Relatively flat terrain can provide a fun game with more emphasis on rolling the bocce ball. By contrast, hills and bumps in the terrain can even add a new element of strategy to the game. These obstacles may require you to toss or lob the bocce ball into the air toward the pallino. The benefits of finding a bocce court in nature are great. Just consider this: it will cost you virtually nothing to play as much bocce as you want for as long as you want. Bored with playing in the same spot? No problem, simply find another spot and play there. Get creative when looking for bocce spots around town. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Backyard Bocce – This may be one of the most well known bocce locations, but still deserves to be mentioned. There’s nothing like firing up the barbecue in the back yard, cooking up some burgers, and enjoying a nice game of bocce with some friends. Different characteristics of your lawn add dynamic elements to the game. For example, the lengh of the grass will likely determine whether rolling or tossing the bocce ball is the best method. Also, hills or even holes made by yard pests can incorpoate a new level of strategy.
- Beach Bocce – Playing bocce on the beach has gotten more and more popular. There is even a national tournament held anually that is dedicated to this phenomenon.
- Parking Lot Bocce – An empty parking lot can provide an open playing surface that is great for a game of bocce. The players must be extra careful to throw the bocce ball with the correct amount of power. An overthrow could cause the ball very far away from the target.
- Street Bocce – Also known as “Extreme Bocce” is played on streets and anywhere you are daring enough to go. Some extreme bocce players even find themselves in places like drainage ditches, heavily wooded areas, and garbage dumps. Not for the faint of heart.
- Indoor Bocce – How can you play bocce on a rainy day? Suprisingly, carpeted areas make a great bocce playing surface. The larger the carpeted area the better, but just watch out for that lamp over there. Oops, too late.
Bocce courts in the USA and Canada
The website ibocce.com has compiled and currently maintains a list of over 150 locations within the USA and Canada that have bocce courts available to use. Some courts may require a membership for use, while others are free. If you want to play on a regulation sized bocce court but don’t want to spend the money to building your own, this may be a great option for you to explore. To view the list, click here.
If you’re interested in building your own bocce court, then click here read on to the next section!